6/28/13

Desert Rat


126 degrees and I just can't get enough. Summer has crept upon us like a two ton sledge hammer. No more gradual rates of heat plumes, this is the 21st century version of "it wasn't me" and "I didn't know the gun was loaded." I feel as if I am living in a wonderama dream/nightmare machine of pre-WWI army mobilization; only on a permanent scale.

We can't help ourselves. The drive to do right has been replaced with an inescapable bureaucratic haze of indifference, backbiting and finger-pointing. Small social victories are a step in the right direction, but the behemoths are not to be coddled easy. We are in this for keeps. To believe that any one country on the planet can assume the role of "steward of the Earth" is madness. To further believe that the U.S. is that country borders on the criminally insane. Hell, we can't even trust our own citizens.

I just moved out of the most hellish place (sociologically) to the most hellish place (climate-wise). I am happier because of this (and I just got my internet up after two months without it.) I am no longer a statistic on a chart (although realistically who isn't) drudging through some fairy tale version of success for some egocentric boss who believes in this shit we call "the real world." I am back to my calling hoping that in my narrow view of this world that I can do right and maybe soften the dread that is to come.

One soul at a time. This is my mantra.

No comments: