12/2/06

Part Three: Tomorrow Never Knows

Reality bites sometimes, but it is all part of the grand show. I was told as a young lad that there are three ways to handle a crises: fight it, flee it or flow with it. I'm beginning to tire of getting along and waiting for something to improve. Washington is a parody of a satirical joke. It is my belief that if given the facts about the lobbying (legal bribery) and the rampant cronyism that takes place in our capital under the guise of government a fair majority of our citizens would be appalled.

So, what's preventing them from finding out? How do I begin to even explain "bread and circuses" to an overfed and arrogant people who have been told since they were tykes that the US is the greatest country that ever was. Tell that to the Native peoples. Explain it to the descendants of enslaved Africans. Justify to the Mexicano the theft of their lands. Remind the wave upon wave of immigrants (Ireland, Eastern Europe, Southern Europe) and Asia who toiled as wage slaves to make our bourgeois into an aristocracy.

Americans are non-historical; they have to be or their world view crumbles. To make this point I give you a president who has a history degree and who has little or no regard (knowledge) for its use other than to revise it to conform with our national delusion.

She said, "I know what it's like to be dead.
I know what it is to be sad."
And she's making me feel like I've never been born.

Lennon-McCartney

No comments: