11/22/11

Mean Mistreater

I harbor under no delusions of self-perceived moral superiority. I observe, absorb, analyze, synthesize and evaluate. My conclusions are based upon an understanding of what I perceive as wrongdoing (I may be wrong, but I don't think so.) However, this perception is limited, in this analysis, by what I consider to be violence. Violence is a willful harmful action inflicted upon others. The reasons for the actions are moot. There is no moral balance sheet that can redeem a "bad" action by a consequent "good" action. However, contrition may rectify or recompense the person(s) effected by the malevolence if a return to the conditions that preceded the violence can be obtained. This would not mitigate the original deed itself, but could be construed as a "good" action.

Moral hair-splitting is reserved for non-violent acts. If but a single life is lost or livelihood destroyed then the deed can never be allayed. This is not rocket science. Neither is it law. This is about conscience and morality. When, and if, we can rise above our "random acts of violence" mindset and petty selfishness we may achieve a moral backbone that praises good over a malignant hatred of ourselves.

No comments: